Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
See Also: PLEASURE
- Beckoning … like summer welcoming the swallows —Ariel Dorfman
- Cherish like a secret —D. H. Lawrence
- Dear as a pardon —Diane Ackerman
- Dear as a remembered kiss after death —Alfred, Lord Tennyson
- Dear as the mother to the son —Alfred, Lord Tennyson
- (She was … ) desirable … like a dessert. Afterward you discarded the empty plate and forgot it —Derek Lambert
- (Enigmatic remarks, as elusive and as) eagerly gobbled up as currants in a bun —Robert Culff
See Also: ENTHUSIASM
- Hates (publicity) the way Polly hates crackers —Arthur Baer
- (Six years ago … the idea of spending an afternoon at Shea Stadium) held about as much appeal as your basic monster traffic jam —Malcom Moran, New York Times, October 11, 1986
- Like a box of chocolates … seductive and satisfying —Publishers Weekly comment on a short novel
The simile expanded on the box of chocolates appeal with “Readers will want to devour it in one sitting.”
- Welcome as a corpse is to a coroner —Mark Twain
- Welcome as a dandelion in the bosom of winter —Josh Billings
- Welcome as a free tickets to a hit show —Anon
- Welcome as a letter from home —Anon
- Welcome as a visit from an old friend —Anon
- Welcome as happy tiding after fears —Thomas Otway
- Welcome as sunshine after rain —Anon
A possible inspiration for this: “Love comforteth like sunshine after rain” from Shakespeare’s Venus and Adonis.
- Welcome as the best dish in the kitchen —H. G. Bohn’s Handbook of Proverbs
- Welcome as the flowers in May —John Ray’s Proverbs
- Welcomed it as a Bedouin in the desert welcomes the flies that are the herald of an oasis —Richard Selzer
|Noun||1.||desirability - the quality of being worthy of desiring|
goodness, good - that which is pleasing or valuable or useful; "weigh the good against the bad"; "among the highest goods of all are happiness and self-realization"
undesirability - the quality possessed by something that should be avoided
|2.||desirability - attractiveness to the opposite sex|
attractiveness - sexual allure
sultriness - the quality of expressing or arousing sexual desire; "the sultriness of her look was unmistakable"; "the sultriness of lust was in the air"