Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to desktop: Google Desktop
1. The top of a desk.
2. Computers The area of a display screen where images, windows, icons and other graphical items appear.
Designed for use on a desk or table: a desktop telephone; a desktop computer.
1. the main screen display on a personal computer, from which windows may be opened and programs run
2. (Computer Science) (modifier) denoting a computer system, esp for word processing, that is small enough to use at a desk
1. made to fit or be used on a desk or table: a desktop computer.n.
2. Computers. the primary display screen of a graphical user interface, on which various icons represent files, groups of files, programs, etc., which can be moved, accessed, added to, put away, or thrown away in ways analogous to the handling of file folders, documents, notes, etc., on a real desk.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||desktop - the top of a desk|
|2.||desktop - (computer science) the area of the screen in graphical user interfaces against which icons and windows appear|
CRT screen, screen - the display that is electronically created on the surface of the large end of a cathode-ray tube