Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The process of detoxifying.
2. The state or condition of being detoxified.
3. Physiology The metabolic process by which the toxic qualities of a poison or toxin are reduced by the body.
4. A medically supervised treatment program for alcohol or drug dependence designed to purge the body of intoxicating or addictive substances.
de•tox•i•fi•ca•tion(diˌtɒk sə fɪˈkeɪ ʃən)
1. the metabolic process by which toxins are changed into less toxic or more readily excreted substances.
2. the process of withdrawing a person from dependence on a habituating drug.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||detoxification - a treatment for addiction to drugs or alcohol intended to remove the physiological effects of the addictive substances|
|2.||detoxification - treatment for poisoning by neutralizing the toxic properties (normally a function of the liver)|
n. destoxificación, reducción de las propiedades tóxicas de una sustancia.