detoxification(redirected from detoxifications)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to detoxifications: detoxify
1. The process of detoxifying: detoxification of drugs by the liver; detoxification of industrial waste.
2. A medically supervised treatment program for individuals with alcohol or drug intoxication, designed to rid the body of toxic substances and manage withdrawal symptoms.
3. A short-term health regimen involving procedures thought to remove toxins from the body, such as drinking large amounts of liquid, eating a restricted diet or fasting, taking nutritional supplements, and undergoing enemas.
de•tox•i•fi•ca•tion(diˌtɒk sə fɪˈkeɪ ʃən)
1. the metabolic process by which toxins are changed into less toxic or more readily excreted substances.
2. the process of withdrawing a person from dependence on a habituating drug.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||detoxification - a treatment for addiction to drugs or alcohol intended to remove the physiological effects of the addictive substances|
|2.||detoxification - treatment for poisoning by neutralizing the toxic properties (normally a function of the liver)|
n. destoxificación, reducción de las propiedades tóxicas de una sustancia.