Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Water droplets condensed from the air, usually at night, onto cool surfaces.
2. Something moist, fresh, pure, or renewing: "The timely dew of sleep / ... inclines / Our eye-lids" (John Milton).
3. Moisture, as in the form of tears or perspiration, that appears in small drops.
tr.v. dewed, dew·ing, dews
To wet with or as if with dew.
1. (Physical Geography)
a. drops of water condensed on a cool surface, esp at night, from vapour in the air
b. (in combination): dewdrop.
2. something like or suggestive of this, esp in freshness: the dew of youth.
3. small drops of moisture, such as tears
(tr) poetic to moisten with or as with dew
[Old English dēaw; related to Old High German tou dew, Old Norse dögg]
1. moisture condensed from the atmosphere, esp. at night, and deposited in the form of small drops upon any cool surface.
2. something compared to such drops of moisture, as in purity or refreshing quality.
3. moisture in small drops on a surface.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English dēaw; c. Old Saxon dau, Old High German tou, Old Norse dǫgg]
Water droplets that condense from the air onto cool surfaces. Dew usually forms at night, when air near the ground cools and cannot hold as much water vapor as warmer air.
Past participle: dewed
Water droplets formed from the condensation of water vapor in the atmosphere.
dew[djuː] N → rocío m
dew[ˈdjuː] n → rosée f
n → Tau m
n → Brombeere f
n → Afterkralle f, → Afterklaue f
n → Tautropfen m
n (poet, liter) → Taufall m; (= film of dew) → Tauschleier m (poet)
n (Phys) → Taupunkt m
n flacher Teich, der sich aus Regenwasser bildet
dew[djuː] n → rugiada
tiny drops of moisture coming from the air as it cools, especially at night. The grass is wet with early-morning dew. dou نَدى роса orvalho rosa der Tau dug πρωινή δροσιά, πάχνηrocío kaste شبنم kaste roséeטל ओस rosa harmat embun dögg rugiada 露 이슬 rasa rasa embun dauwdoggrosa پرخه، دشبنم څاڅكى orvalho rouă роса rosa rosa rosa dagg น้ำค้าง çiğ 露水 роса شبنم sương 露水