dewclaw(redirected from dewclaw slough)
Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia.
A short digit that does not reach the ground, found on the feet of dogs and certain other mammals.
1. (Zoology) a nonfunctional claw in dogs; the rudimentary first digit
2. (Zoology) an analogous rudimentary hoof in deer, goats, etc
1. a functionless claw on some dogs that does not reach the ground in walking.
2. an analogous false hoof, as of deer.
[1570–80; compare dewlap]
1. A small, useless, inner claw or toe in some dogs and other animals that does not reach the ground in walking.
2. The false hoof of deer, hogs, and other hoofed mammals, consisting of two toes.