Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Something apparently seen but having no physical reality; a phantom or an apparition. Also called phantasma.
2. An illusory mental image. Also called phantasma.
3. In Platonic philosophy, objective reality as perceived and distorted by the five senses.
[Middle English fantasme, from Old French, from Latin phantasma, from Greek, from phantazein, to make visible, from phantos, visible, from phainein, to show; see bhā- in Indo-European roots.]
phan·tas′mal (făn-tăz′məl), phan·tas′mic (-tăz′mĭk) adj.
1. a phantom
2. an illusory perception of an object, person, etc
3. (Philosophy) (in the philosophy of Plato) objective reality as distorted by perception
[C13: from Old French fantasme, from Latin phantasma, from Greek; related to Greek phantazein to cause to be seen, from phainein to show]
phanˈtasmal, phantasmalian, phanˈtasmic, phanˈtasmical adj
phanˈtasmally, phanˈtasmically adv
phan•tasm(ˈfæn tæz əm)
1. an apparition or specter.
2. a creation of the imagination or fancy; fantasy.
3. a mental image or representation of a real object.
4. an illusory likeness of something.
[1175–1225; Middle English fantesme < Old French < Latin phantasma < Greek phántasma image, vision]
phan•tas′mal, phan•tas′mic, phan•tas′mi•cal, adj.
a vision or other perception of something that has no physical or objective reality, as a ghost or other supernatural apparition. Also phantasma. See also images; philosophy.See also: Perception
a vision or other perception of something that has no physical or objective reality, especially in the sense of a ghost or other supernatural apparition. Also phantasma. See also images; philosophy.See also: Ghosts
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||phantasm - a ghostly appearing figure; "we were unprepared for the apparition that confronted us"|
disembodied spirit, spirit - any incorporeal supernatural being that can become visible (or audible) to human beings
Flying Dutchman - the captain of a phantom ship (the Flying Dutchman) who was condemned to sail against the wind until Judgment Day
|2.||phantasm - something existing in perception only; "a ghostly apparition at midnight"|
flying saucer, UFO, unidentified flying object - an (apparently) flying object whose nature is unknown; especially those considered to have extraterrestrial origins
Flying Dutchman - a phantom ship that is said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope
ghost, specter, wraith, spectre, spook, shade - a mental representation of some haunting experience; "he looked like he had seen a ghost"; "it aroused specters from his past"
1. A supernatural being, such as a ghost:
apparition, bogey, bogeyman, bogle, eidolon, ghost, phantasma, phantom, revenant, shade, shadow, specter, spirit, visitant, wraith.
2. An illusory mental image: