Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to diddle: doodle
tr.v. did·dled, did·dling, did·dles
Slang To cheat; swindle: "The Swiss have special laws for people who diddle hotels" (John le Carré).
[Perhaps akin to Old English dydrian, to deceive, or from variant of dialectal doodle, fool, simpleton; akin to Low German dudeldopp.]
v. did·dled, did·dling, did·dles
1. To jerk up and down or back and forth.
2. Vulgar Slang
a. To have intercourse with (a woman).
b. To practice masturbation upon.
1. To shake rapidly; jiggle.
2. Slang To play experimentally; toy: The children diddled with the knobs on the television all afternoon.
3. Slang To waste time: diddled around all morning.
[Probably alteration of dialectal didder, to quiver, tremble, from Middle English dideren, variant of daderen, doderen; see dodder1.]
1. (tr) to cheat or swindle
2. (intr) an obsolete word for dawdle
[C19: back formation from Jeremy Diddler, a scrounger in J. Kenney's farce Raising the Wind (1803)]
dialect to jerk (an object) up and down or back and forth; shake rapidly
[C17: probably variant of doderen to tremble, totter; see dodder1]
v.t. -dled, -dling.
Informal. to cheat; swindle.
[1800–10; of uncertain orig.]
v. -dled, -dling. v.i. Informal.
1. to toy; fool: diddling with the controls.
2. to waste time (often fol. by around).
3. to move back and forth with short rapid motions.v.t.
4. Dial. to move back and forth rapidly; jiggle.
Past participle: diddled
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||diddle - deprive of by deceit; "He swindled me out of my inheritance"; "She defrauded the customers who trusted her"; "the cashier gypped me when he gave me too little change"|
bunco, con, defraud, gip, goldbrick, gyp, hornswoggle, mulct, nobble, rook, scam, swindle, short-change, victimize
|2.||diddle - manipulate manually or in one's mind or imagination; "She played nervously with her wedding ring"; "Don't fiddle with the screws"; "He played with the idea of running for the Senate"|
manipulate - hold something in one's hands and move it
übers Ohr hauen