Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to dielectric: dielectric constant, capacitor, dielectric polarization, dielectric test, dielectric loss, Dielectric strength
A nonconductor of electricity, especially a substance with electrical conductivity of less than a millionth (10-6) of a siemens.
1. (General Physics) a substance or medium that can sustain a static electric field within it
2. (General Physics) a substance or body of very low electrical conductivity; insulator
(General Physics) of, concerned with, or having the properties of a dielectric
[from dia- + electric]
di•e•lec•tric(ˌdaɪ ɪˈlɛk trɪk)
1. a nonconductor of electricity; insulator.
2. a substance in which an electric field can be maintained with a minimum loss of power.adj.
3. of or pertaining to a dielectric substance.
Having little or no ability to conduct electricity.
A dielectric substance, such as glass or rubber.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dielectric - a material such as glass or porcelain with negligible electrical or thermal conductivity|
bushing - an insulating liner in an opening through which conductors pass
material, stuff - the tangible substance that goes into the makeup of a physical object; "coal is a hard black material"; "wheat is the stuff they use to make bread"
glass wool - glass fibers spun and massed into bundles resembling wool