Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An excavation site, as for digging or mining ore, metals, or precious stones.
2. Materials that have been excavated.
3. Chiefly British Rooms; lodgings.
1. (functioning as plural) material that has been dug out
2. (Mining & Quarrying) (functioning as singular or plural) a place where mining, esp gold mining, has taken place
3. (functioning as plural) informal Brit a less common name for digs
dig•gings(ˈdɪg ɪŋz for 1–3; ˈdɪg ənz for 4 )
1. (usu. with a sing. v.) a place where digging is carried on.
2. a mining operation or locality.
3. matter removed from an excavation.
4. Chiefly Brit. Informal. dig 1 (def. 14).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||diggings - an excavation for ore or precious stones or for archaeology|
excavation - a hole in the ground made by excavating
|2.||diggings - temporary living quarters|