dill(redirected from dills)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to dills: DIILS
1. An aromatic herb (Anethum graveolens) in the parsley family, native to Eurasia, having finely dissected leaves and small yellow flowers clustered in umbels.
2. The leaves or seeds of this plant, used as a seasoning.
[Middle English dile, from Old English.]
1. (Plants) an umbelliferous aromatic Eurasian plant, Anethum graveolens, with finely dissected leaves and umbrella-shaped clusters of yellow flowers
2. (Cookery) the leaves or seedlike fruits of this plant, used for flavouring in pickles, soups, etc, and in medicine
[Old English dile; related to Old High German tilli]
informal chiefly Austral and NZ a fool; idiot
[C20: from dilly2]
1. any plant of the genus Anethum, of the parsley family, esp. A. graveolens, having aromatic seeds and finely divided leaves used as a flavoring.
2. the seeds or leaves.
3. dill pickle.
[before 900; Middle English di(l)le, Old English dile; akin to Old Saxon dilli, Old High German tilli, Old Norse dylla]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dill - aromatic Old World herb having aromatic threadlike foliage and seeds used as seasoning|
dill seed - seed of the dill plant used as seasoning
|2.||dill - aromatic threadlike foliage of the dill plant used as seasoning|
herb - aromatic potherb used in cookery for its savory qualities