diploid(redirected from diploidly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Double or twofold.
2. Genetics Having a pair of each type of chromosome, so that the basic chromosome number is doubled: diploid somatic cells.
A cell, organism, or group of organisms having a diploid number of chromosomes.
1. (Biology) biology (of cells or organisms) having pairs of homologous chromosomes so that twice the haploid number is present
2. (Biology) double or twofold
(Biology) biology a diploid cell or organism
1. having two similar complements of chromosomes.n.
2. an organism or cell having double the basic haploid number of chromosomes.
[< German (1905) < Greek diplóos double, with suffix of German haploid haploid]
Having two sets of chromosomes in the nucleus.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||diploid - (genetics) an organism or cell having the normal amount of DNA per cell; i.e., two sets of chromosomes or twice the haploid number|
organism, being - a living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently
|Adj.||1.||diploid - of a cell or organism having two sets of chromosomes or twice the haploid number; "diploid somatic cells"|
polyploid - of a cell or organism having more than twice the haploid number of chromosomes; "a polyploid cell"; "a polyploid species"