Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Anatomically located far from a point of reference, such as an origin or a point of attachment.
2. Situated farthest from the middle and front of the jaw, as a tooth or tooth surface.
(Anatomy) anatomy (of a muscle, bone, limb, etc) situated farthest from the centre, median line, or point of attachment or origin. Compare proximal
[C19: from distant + -al1]
1. situated away from the point of origin or attachment, as of a limb or bone. Compare proximal (def. 1).
2. directed away or farthest from the sagittal plane or midline of the face, along the dental arch. Compare mesial (def. 2).
1. Away from the point of origin of a limb or other structure. See proximal.
2. Toward the extremities of the body.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||distal - situated farthest from point of attachment or origin, as of a limb or bone|
proximal - situated nearest to point of attachment or origin; "the proximal end of a bone"
|2.||distal - directed away from the midline or mesial plane of the body|
mesial - being in or directed toward the midline or mesial plane of the body
a. distal, distante, rel. a la parte más lejana;
___ end → extremo ___.