Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to distributive: distributive bargaining, Distributive law, distributive shock, Distributive justice
a. Of, relating to, or involving distribution.
b. Serving to distribute.
2. Mathematics Of or relating to a property involving two binary operations, usually multiplication and addition, in which the product of an element with a sum of terms is equal to the sum of the individual products of that element with each term. That is, if a × (b + c) = a × b + a × c, then the operation indicated by × is distributive over the operation indicated by +.
3. Grammar Referring to each individual or entity of a group separately rather than collectively, as every in the sentence Every employee attended the meeting.
A distributive word or term.
1. characterized by or relating to distribution
2. (Grammar) grammar referring separately to the individual people or items in a group, as the words each and every
3. (Grammar) grammar a distributive word
4. (Mathematics) maths able to be distributed: multiplication is distributive over addition.
dis•trib•u•tive(dɪˈstrɪb yə tɪv)
1. serving to distribute, assign, or divide; characterized by or pertaining to distribution.
2. referring to the members of a group individually, as the adjectives each and every.
3. Logic. (of a term) distributed in a given logical proposition.
a. (of a binary operation) having the property that terms in an expression may be expanded in a particular way to form an equivalent expression, as a(b + c) =ab + ac.
b. having reference to this property: the distributive law for multiplication over addition.
5. a distributive expression.
[1425–75; < Middle French < Late Latin]
adj → distributiv
n → Distributivum nt