|Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary|
5,299,457,188 visitors served.
|Also found in: Legal, Acronyms, Wikipedia||0.01 sec.|
n pl -tos
1. (Communication Arts / Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) the aforementioned; the above; the same. Used in accounts, lists, etc., to avoid repetition and symbolized by two small marks (") known as ditto marks, placed under the thing repeated Abbreviation do
a. a duplicate
b. (as modifier) a ditto copy
1. in the same way
sentence substitute Informal used to avoid repeating or to confirm agreement with an immediately preceding sentence
vb -tos, -toing, -toed
(tr) to copy; repeat
[from Italian (Tuscan dialect), variant of detto said, from dicere to say, from Latin]
dit•to (ˈdɪt oʊ)
n., pl. -tos,
1. the aforesaid; the above; the same (used in accounts, lists, etc., to avoid repetition). Compare ditto mark.
2. another of the same.
3. Informal. a duplicate; copy.adv.
4. as already stated; likewise.v.t.
5. to make a copy of on a duplicating machine.
6. to duplicate or repeat the action or statement of (another).
[1615–25; < Italian, variant of detto < Latin dictus said, past participle of dīcere to say; see dictum]
Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, add the site to iGoogle, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
|Mentioned in||?||References in classic literature||?||Dictionary browser||?||Full browser||?|
27 Porters 3 Coarse Washers and Ironers 44 Mules 1 Fine ditto 44 Muleteers 7 Cows 2 Milkers
, and one dozen dessert ditto ditto, there were three young stockbrokers (Messrs.
The washing and dressing apparatus for the passengers generally, consists of two jack-towels, three small wooden basins, a keg of water and a ladle to serve it out with, six square inches of looking-glass, two ditto ditto of yellow soap, a comb and brush for the head, and nothing for the teeth.
dittany of crete
dittany of crete
Ditters von Dittersdorf, Carl
Dittersdorf, Karl Ditters Von
Ditts, Otto Germanovich
|Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Translations|
Free toolbar & extensions |
Word of the Day |
For webmasters: Free content | Linking | Lookup box | Double-click lookup