Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. doffed, doff·ing, doffs
1. To take off; remove: doff one's clothes.
2. To tip or remove (one's hat) in salutation.
3. To put aside; discard.
[Middle English doffen, from don off, to do off : don, to do; see do1 + off, off; see off.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) to take off or lift (one's hat) in salutation
2. (Clothing & Fashion) to remove (clothing)
[Old English dōn of; see do1, off; compare don1]
1. to remove or take off, as clothing.
2. to remove or tip (the hat), as in greeting.
3. to throw off; get rid of.
[1300–50; Middle English, contraction of do off; compare don1]
Past participle: doffed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||doff - remove; "He doffed his hat"|
take off - remove clothes; "take off your shirt--it's very hot in here"