Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to dogfish: bowfin
n. pl. dogfish or dog·fish·es
1. Any of various small sharks chiefly of the family Squalidae, often occurring in large schools.
2. See bowfin.
n, pl -fish or -fishes
1. (Animals) any of several small spotted European sharks, esp Scyliorhinus caniculus (lesser spotted dogfish): family Scyliorhinidae
2. (Animals) any small shark of the family Squalidae, esp Squalus acanthias (spiny dogfish), typically having a spine on each dorsal fin
3. (Animals) any small smooth-skinned shark of the family Triakidae, esp Mustelus canis (smooth dogfish or smooth hound)
4. (Animals) a less common name for the bowfin
n., pl. (esp. collectively) -fish, (esp. for kinds or species) -fish•es.
1. any of several small sharks, esp. of the genera Mustelus and Squalus, that are destructive to food fishes.
2. any of various other fishes, as the bowfin.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dogfish - primitive long-bodied carnivorous freshwater fish with a very long dorsal fin; found in sluggish waters of North America|
|2.||dogfish - any of several small sharks|
shark - any of numerous elongate mostly marine carnivorous fishes with heterocercal caudal fins and tough skin covered with small toothlike scales
smooth dogfish - small bottom-dwelling shark found along both Atlantic coasts
spiny dogfish - small bottom-dwelling dogfishes