Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
v. dom·i·nat·ed, dom·i·nat·ing, dom·i·nates
1. To control, govern, or rule by superior authority or power: Successful leaders dominate events rather than react to them.
2. To exert a supreme, guiding influence on or over: Ambition dominated their lives.
a. To enjoy a commanding, controlling position in: a drug company that dominates the tranquilizer market.
b. To be the most abundant in: Grasses dominate most salt marshes.
4. To overlook from a height: a view from the cliffside chalet that dominates the valley.
1. To have or exert strong authority or mastery.
2. To be situated in or occupy a position that is more elevated or decidedly superior to others.
3. To be predominant in an ecosystem.