fig(redirected from don't care a fig)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Any of various trees or shrubs of the genus Ficus, especially F. carica, native to the Mediterranean region and widely cultivated for its edible multiple fruit.
b. The sweet, hollow, pear-shaped, multiple fruit of this plant, having many tiny seedlike fruits.
a. Any of several plants bearing similar fruit.
b. The fruit of such a plant.
3. A trivial or contemptible amount: not worth a fig.
[Middle English, from Old French figue, from Old Provençal figa, from Vulgar Latin *fīca, from Latin fīcus.]
1. Dress; array: in full fig.
2. Physical condition; shape: in fine fig.
[Perhaps from fig, to trot out a horse in lively condition, dress up, variant of feague, to make a horse lively, probably from Dutch vegen, to brush, from Middle Dutch vēghen.]
1. (Plants) any moraceous tree or shrub of the tropical and subtropical genus Ficus, in which the flowers are borne inside a pear-shaped receptacle
2. (Plants) the fruit of any of these trees, esp of F. carica, which develops from the receptacle and has sweet flesh containing numerous seedlike structures
3. (Plants) any of various plants or trees having a fruit similar to this
4. (Plants) Hottentot fig sour fig a succulent plant, Mesembryanthemum edule, of southern Africa, having a capsular fruit containing edible pulp: family Aizoaceae
5. (used with a negative) something of negligible value; jot: I don't care a fig for your opinion.
6. dialect Also: feg a piece or segment from an orange
7. Also called: fico an insulting gesture made with the thumb between the first two fingers or under the upper teeth
[C13: from Old French figue, from Old Provençal figa, from Latin fīcus fig tree]
vb (tr) , figs, figging or figged
1. (foll by: out or up) to dress (up) or rig (out)
2. (Horse Racing) to administer stimulating drugs to (a horse)
3. dress, appearance, or array (esp in the phrase in full fig)
4. physical condition or form: in bad fig.
[C17 feague, of uncertain origin]
1. any tree or shrub of the genus Ficus, of the mulberry family, bearing syconia as its fruit.
2. the turbinate or pear-shaped fruit of such a tree or shrub.
3. a contemptibly trifling amount; the least bit: Their help wasn't worth a fig.
4. a gesture of contempt.
[1175–1225; Middle English fige < Old French < Old Provençal figa « Latin fīcus]
1. dress or array: to appear at a party in full fig.
2. condition: to feel in fine fig.
[1685–95; earlier feague to liven, whip up < German fegen to furbish, sweep, clean; akin to fair1]
Past participle: figged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fig - a diagram or picture illustrating textual material; "the area covered can be seen from Figure 2"|
illustration - artwork that helps make something clear or attractive
|2.||fig - Mediterranean tree widely cultivated for its edible fruit|
fig - fleshy sweet pear-shaped yellowish or purple multiple fruit eaten fresh or preserved or dried
fig tree - any moraceous tree of the tropical genus Ficus; produces a closed pear-shaped receptacle that becomes fleshy and edible when mature
caprifig, Ficus carica sylvestris - wild variety of the common fig used to facilitate pollination of certain figs
syconium - the fleshy multiple fruit of the fig consisting of an enlarged hollow receptacle containing numerous fruitlets
|3.||FIG - a Libyan terrorist group organized in 1995 and aligned with al-Qaeda; seeks to radicalize the Libyan government; attempted to assassinate Qaddafi|
Al-Jama'a al-Islamiyyah al-Muqatilah bi-Libya, Libyan Fighting Group, Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, Libyan Islamic Group
act of terrorism, terrorism, terrorist act - the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear
|4.||fig - fleshy sweet pear-shaped yellowish or purple multiple fruit eaten fresh or preserved or dried|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh
fig[fɪg] n → fico
a type of soft pear-shaped fruit, often eaten dried. vy تين смокиня figo fík die Feige figne σύκοhigo viigimari انجیر viikuna figueתאנה अंजीर smokva (plod) füge(fa) buah ara fíkja fico いちぢく 무화과 figa vīģe buah ara vijgfikenfiga اينځر، داينځرونه figo smochină инжир figa figa smokva fikon ต้นไม้หรือผลตระกูลมะเดื่อ ไทร และกร่าง incir 無花果 фіга, інжир انجیر ، ناشپاتی جیسا پھل quả vả; quả sung 无花果