double time(redirected from double-time)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. A marching pace of 180 three-foot steps per minute.
2. A rate of pay, as for overtime work, that is twice the regular rate.
1. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) a doubled wage rate, paid for working on public holidays, etc
2. (Music, other) music
a. a time twice as fast as an earlier section
b. two beats per bar
3. a slow running pace, keeping in step
4. (Military) army US a fast march of 180 paces to the minute
to move or cause to move in double time
1. a marching cadence of l80 paces per minute.
2. a rate of overtime pay twice the regular wage rate.
v.i. -timed, -tim•ing.
to move in double time.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||double time - a fast marching pace (180 steps/min) or slow jog|
|2.||double time - a doubled wage (for working overtime)|
|Adv.||1.||double time - at a faster speed; "now let's play the piece again double-quick"|