Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various widely distributed birds of the family Columbidae, which includes the pigeons, having a small head and a characteristic cooing call.
2. A gentle, innocent person.
3. A person who advocates peace, conciliation, or negotiation in preference to confrontation or armed conflict.
[Middle English douve, from Old English *dūfe.]
A past tense of dive1. See Usage Note at dive1.
1. (Animals) any of various birds of the family Columbidae, having a heavy body, small head, short legs, and long pointed wings: order Columbiformes. They are typically smaller than pigeons.
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) politics a person opposed to war. Compare hawk13
3. a gentle or innocent person: used as a term of endearment
a. a greyish-brown colour
b. (as adjective): dove walls.
[Old English dūfe (unattested except as a feminine proper name); related to Old Saxon dūbva, Old High German tūba]
ˈdovish, ˈdoveish adj
chiefly US a past tense of dive
(Ecclesiastical Terms) the Dove Christianity a manifestation of the Holy Spirit (John 1:32)
1. any bird of the family Columbidae, esp. the smaller species with pointed tails. Compare pigeon (def. 1).
2. a pure white member of this species, used as a symbol of innocence, gentleness, and peace.
3. (cap.) a symbol for the Holy Ghost.
4. a person who advocates peace or a conciliatory national attitude.
5. an innocent or gentle person.
6. a warm gray color.
[1150–1200; Middle English; Old English dūfe- (in dūfedoppa pelican)]
dove′like`, dov′ish, adj.
a pt. of dive.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dove - any of numerous small pigeons |
pigeon - wild and domesticated birds having a heavy body and short legs
turtledove - any of several Old World wild doves
|2.||dove - someone who prefers negotiations to armed conflict in the conduct of foreign relations|
|3.||Dove - a constellation in the southern hemisphere near Puppis and Caelum|
|4.||dove - flesh of a pigeon suitable for roasting or braising; flesh of a dove (young squab) may be broiled|
domestic pigeon - domesticated pigeon raised for sport or food
poultry - flesh of chickens or turkeys or ducks or geese raised for food
|5.||dove - an emblem of peace|
chim bồ câu
a kind of pigeon. duif حَمامَه гълъб rola holub die Taube due περιστέριpaloma tuvi قمری kyyhky colombeיונה फाख्ता golubica galamb merpati dúfa colomba はと 비둘기 balandis balodis burung merpati duifduegołąb كوتره: كټمير (قمرى rola porumbel голубь holub, -ica golob golubica duva นกพิราบ kumru 和平鴿 голуб فاختہ bồ câu 鸽，小野鸽