Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A fan-shaped tenon that forms a tight interlocking joint when fitted into a corresponding mortise.
2. A joint formed by interlocking one or more such tenons and mortises.
v. dove·tailed, dove·tail·ing, dove·tails
1. To cut into or join by means of dovetails.
2. To connect or combine precisely or harmoniously.
1. To be joined together by means of dovetails.
2. To combine or interlock into a unified whole: The nurses' schedules dovetailed, so that one was always on duty.
the act of fitting together neatly