Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
1. A widow who holds a title or property derived from her deceased husband.
2. An elderly woman of high social station.
a. a widow possessing property or a title obtained from her husband
b. (as modifier): the dowager duchess.
2. a wealthy or dignified elderly woman
[C16: from Old French douagiere, from douage dower]
dow•a•ger(ˈdaʊ ə dʒər)
1. a woman who holds some title or property from her deceased husband.
2. an elderly woman of stately dignity.adj.
3. pertaining to or characteristic of a dowager.
[1520–30; < Middle French douag(i)ere, derivative of douage dower]