drawing room(redirected from drawing rooms)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A large room in which guests are entertained.
2. A ceremonial reception.
3. A large private room on a railroad sleeping car.
[Short for earlier withdrawing room.]
1. a room where visitors are received and entertained; living room; sitting room
2. archaic a ceremonial or formal reception, esp at court
1. a formal reception room, esp. in an apartment or private house.
2. (in a railroad car) a private room for two or three passengers.
3. Brit. a formal reception, esp. at court.
[1635–45; shortening of now obsolete withdrawing room]
drawing room- A shortening of withdrawing room, the room to which the ladies withdrew, leaving the men to smoking and drinking.
See also related terms for leaving.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||drawing room - a formal room where visitors can be received and entertained|
reception room - a room for receiving and entertaining visitors (as in a private house or hotel)
|2.||drawing room - a private compartment on a sleeping car with three bunks and a toilet|
compartment - a partitioned section, chamber, or separate room within a larger enclosed area
drawing roomn → salotto
drawing room(ˈdroːiŋrum) noun
a sitting room. voorhuis, sitkamer غُرْفَةُ الجُلوس гостна sala de estar přijímací pokoj, salón das Empfangszimmer dagligstue καθιστικόsala de estar اتاق پذیرایی sali salonסלון बैठक soba za crtanje, dnevna soba ruang duduk stássstofa salotto 客間 응접실 svetainë viesistaba ruang tamu huiskamer, woonkamerstue, salong د كښيناستو كوټه cameră de zi гостиная obývačka dnevna soba salong, sällskapsrum ห้องรับแขก oturma odası 客廳 вітальня دیوان خانہ phòng khách 客厅