Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
A past tense and a past participle of dream.
n., v. dreamed dreamt, dream•ing, n.
1. a succession of images, thoughts, or emotions passing through the mind during sleep.
2. a particular sequence of such images, thoughts, or feelings: a recurring dream about a circus.
3. an involuntary vision occurring to a person when awake.
4. a daydream or reverie.
5. an aspiration; goal; aim.
6. a wild or vain fancy.
7. something of unreal or striking beauty, charm, or excellence.v.i.
8. to have a dream.
9. to indulge in daydreams or reveries.
10. to conceive of something in a very remote way (usu. fol. by of): I wouldn't dream of leaving.v.t.
11. to see or imagine in sleep or in a vision.
12. to imagine as possible; fancy; conceive.
13. to pass or spend (time) in dreaming (often fol. by away): to dream away the afternoon.
14. dream up, to form in the imagination; devise.adj.
15. most desirable; ideal: a dream vacation.
[before 1000; Middle English dreem, Old English drēam joy, mirth]