Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to drowning: Near drowning
v. drowned, drown·ing, drowns
1. To kill by submerging and suffocating in water or another liquid.
2. To drench thoroughly or cover with or as if with a liquid.
3. To deaden one's awareness of; blot out: people who drowned their troubles in drink.
4. To muffle or mask (a sound) by a louder sound: screams that were drowned out by the passing train.
To die by suffocating in water or another liquid.
drown (one's) sorrow/sorrows
To try to forget one's troubles by drinking alcohol.
1. on the verge of being drowned
2. a drowning man will clutch at a straw when hope of success is fading, people will try anything, no matter how unlikely it is that it will provide a solution
3. an instance of someone's dying when submerged in water and therefore unable to breathe
4. an instance of someone being deliberately submerged in water until they die
n. ahogamiento, acción de ahogar o ahogarse.