Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
The location of a dump, especially a garbage dump.
a dump where refuse is discarded
1. to drop or let fall in a mass; fling down or drop heavily or suddenly: Dump the topsoil here.
2. to unload or empty out (a container), as by tilting or overturning.
3. to empty out, as from a container.
4. to be dismissed, fired, or released from a contract.
5. Informal. to transfer or rid oneself of suddenly and irresponsibly: Don't dump your troubles on me!
6. Informal. to end a romantic relationship with (someone) unexpectedly and without mutual consent.
a. to put (goods or securities) on the market in large quantities and at a low price, esp. in an attempt to reduce losses.
b. to sell (goods) into foreign markets below cost in an effort to destroy foreign competition.
8. to output (computer data), often in binary or hexadecimal form, esp. to diagnose a failure.v.i.
9. to fall or drop down suddenly.
10. to throw away or discard garbage, refuse, etc.
11. to release contents: a sewage pipe that dumps in the ocean.
12. dump on,n.
a. to criticize harshly; abuse.
b. to unload one's problems onto (another person).
13. an accumulation of discarded garbage, refuse, etc.
15. a collection of ammunition, military stores, etc., deposited at some point, as near a battlefront, for distribution.
16. the act of dumping.
17. Informal. a place, house, or town that is dilapidated, dirty, or disreputable.
18. a copy of dumped computer data.
[1250–1300; Middle English (in sense “to fall suddenly”) < Old Norse dumpa strike, bump]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dumpsite - a piece of land where waste materials are dumped|
eitchen midden, kitchen midden, midden - (archeology) a mound of domestic refuse containing shells and animal bones marking the site of a prehistoric settlement
garbage heap, junk heap, junk pile, refuse heap, rubbish heap, scrapheap, trash heap, trash pile - an accumulation of refuse and discarded matter
toxic dumpsite, toxic waste dump, toxic waste site - a location where toxic wastes can be or have been disposed of (often illegally)