Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A removable paper cover used to protect the binding of a book. Also called dust cover.
2. A cardboard sleeve in which a phonograph record is packaged.
(Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a removable paper cover used to protect a bound book. Also called: book jacket or jacket
1. a short coat, in any of various forms, usu. opening down the front.
2. a garmentlike article designed to be placed around the body for some use other than as clothing. Compare life jacket, straitjacket.
3. a protective outer covering.
4. the skin of a potato, esp. when it has been cooked.
5. a removable paper cover for protecting the binding of a book, usu. bearing the title and author's name.
6. an envelope, holder, or cover of cardboard or paper, as for a phonograph record or a document.
7. a metal casing, as the steel covering around the barrel of a gun or the core of a bullet.v.t.
8. to put a jacket on.
[1425–75; jaket < Middle French ja(c)quet=jaque(s) jacket, short, plain upper garment, probably after jacques peasant (see Jacquerie) + -et -et]