Dutchman(redirected from Dutchmen)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. A man who is a native or inhabitant of the Netherlands.
b. A man of Dutch ancestry.
a. Archaic A member of any of the Germanic peoples of central or northern Europe.
b. Northern & Western US A person of German ancestry.
3. dutchman Something used to fill or cover a gap, especially a block of wood or stone set into a larger piece to replace a damaged section.
n, pl -men
1. (Peoples) a native, citizen, or inhabitant of the Netherlands
2. a piece of wood, metal, etc, used to repair or patch faulty workmanship
3. (Peoples) often derogatory South African an Afrikaner
n., pl. -men.
1. Older Use. a native or inhabitant of the Netherlands.
2. (l.c.) a piece or wedge inserted to hide the fault in a badly made joint, to stop an opening, etc.
3. Older Slang: Sometimes Offensive. (a term used to refer to a German.)
usage: Definition 4 was originally standard English, but around the time of World War I it became a slang term of contempt. Though not common today, it is sometimes perceived as insulting.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Dutchman - a native or inhabitant of Holland |
Holland, Kingdom of The Netherlands, Nederland, Netherlands, The Netherlands - a constitutional monarchy in western Europe on the North Sea; half the country lies below sea level
European - a native or inhabitant of Europe
đàn ông Hà Lan