dysfunctional(redirected from dysfunctionally)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. Abnormal or impaired functioning of a bodily system or organ.
2. Failure to achieve or sustain a behavioral norm or expected condition, as in a social relationship.
1. (Medicine) med (of an organ or part) not functioning normally
2. (esp of a family) characterized by a breakdown of normal or beneficial relationships between members of the group
dys•func•tion•al(dɪsˈfʌŋk ʃən əl)
1. unable to function normally.
2. characterized by abnormal or impaired functioning: a dysfunctional family.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||dysfunctional - impaired in function; especially of a bodily system or organ|
impaired - diminished in strength, quality, or utility; "impaired eyesight"
|2.||dysfunctional - (of a trait or condition) failing to serve an adjustive purpose; "dysfunctional behavior"|
maladaptive - showing faulty adaptation