Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
adj. earth·i·er, earth·i·est
1. Of, consisting of, or resembling earth: an earthy smell.
2. Of or characteristic of this world; worldly.
3. Crude or off-color; indecent: an earthy joke.
4. Hearty or uninhibited; natural: an earthy enjoyment of life.
5. Unadorned and simple in style: an earthy homemade stew.
adj, earthier or earthiest
1. of, composed of, or characteristic of earth
2. robust, lusty, or uninhibited
3. unrefined, coarse, or crude
4. an archaic word for worldly1
5. (Electrical Engineering) electrical engineering on the earthed side of an electrical circuit, but not necessarily with a direct current connection to earth
adj. earth•i•er, earth•i•est.
1. of the nature of or consisting of earth or soil.
2. characteristic of earth: an earthy smell.
3. realistic; practical.
4. coarse or unrefined: an earthy sense of humor.
5. direct; robust; unaffected.
6. Archaic. worldly; earthly.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||earthy - conspicuously and tastelessly indecent; "coarse language"; "a crude joke"; "crude behavior"; "an earthy sense of humor"; "a revoltingly gross expletive"; "a vulgar gesture"; "full of language so vulgar it should have been edited"|
indecent - offensive to good taste especially in sexual matters; "an earthy but not indecent story"; "an indecent gesture"
|2.||earthy - not far removed from or suggestive of nature; "the earthy taste of warm milk fresh from the cow"; "earthy smells of new-mown grass"|
natural - in accordance with nature; relating to or concerning nature; "a very natural development"; "our natural environment"; "natural science"; "natural resources"; "natural cliffs"; "natural phenomena"
|3.||earthy - hearty and lusty; "an earthy enjoyment of life"|
uninhibited - not inhibited or restrained; "uninhibited exuberance"
|4.||earthy - of or consisting of or resembling earth; "it had an earthy smell"; "only a little earthy bank separates me from the edge of the ocean"|
|5.||earthy - sensible and practical; "has a straightforward down-to-earth approach to a problem"; "her earthy common sense"|
realistic - aware or expressing awareness of things as they really are; "a realistic description"; "a realistic view of the possibilities"; "a realistic appraisal of our chances"; "the actors tried to create a realistic portrayal of the Africans"
1. direct, simple, natural, plain, rough, straightforward, robust, down-to-earth, frank, uninhibited, unsophisticated, unrefined Denise was a warm, earthy peasant woman with a lively spirit.
3. claylike, soil-like Strong, earthy colours add to the effect.
2. Relating to or characteristic of the earth or of human life on earth: