effloresce(redirected from efflorescing)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
intr.v. ef·flo·resced, ef·flo·resc·ing, ef·flo·resc·es
1. To blossom; bloom.
2. To develop or flourish: when the arts effloresced.
a. To become a powder by losing water of crystallization, as when a hydrated crystal is exposed to air.
b. To become covered with a powdery deposit.
1. to burst forth into or as if into flower; bloom
2. (Chemistry) to become powdery by loss of water or crystallization
3. (Chemistry) to become encrusted with powder or crystals as a result of chemical change or the evaporation of a solution
[C18: from Latin efflōrēscere to blossom, from flōrēscere, from flōs flower]
v.i. -resced, -resc•ing.
1. to burst into bloom; blossom.
a. to change to a mealy or powdery substance upon exposure to air, as a crystalline substance through loss of water of crystallization.
b. to become incrusted with crystals of salt or the like through evaporation or chemical change.
[1765–75; < Latin efflōrēscere=ef- ef- + flōrēscere to begin to bloom]
Past participle: effloresced
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||effloresce - come into or as if into flower; "These manifestations effloresced in the past"|
|2.||effloresce - assume crystalline form; become crystallized|
solidify - become solid; "The metal solidified when it cooled"
devitrify - become crystalline
|3.||effloresce - become encrusted with crystals due to evaporation|