Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various shrubs or small trees of the genus Sambucus, having clusters of small white flowers and small red or purplish-black berrylike fruit. Also called elder2.
2. The fruit of certain of these plants, used to make wine or preserves.
n, pl -ries
1. (Plants) the berry-like fruit of the elder, used for making wines, jellies, etc
2. (Plants) another name for elder11
el•der•ber•ry(ˈɛl dərˌbɛr i, -bə ri)
n., pl. -ries.
1. the berry of the elder, used in making wine and jelly.
2. elder 2.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||elderberry - a common shrub with black fruit or a small tree of Europe and Asia; fruit used for wines and jellies|
|2.||elderberry - berrylike fruit of an elder used for e.g. wines and jellies|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh
American elder, black elderberry, Sambucus canadensis, sweet elder - common elder of central and eastern North America bearing purple-black berries; fruit used in wines and jellies
n → Holunderbeere f; elderberry wine → Holunderwein m