Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
e·liteor é·lite (ĭ-lēt′, ā-lēt′)
n. pl. elite or e·lites or élite or é·lites
a. A group or class of persons considered to be superior to others because of their intelligence, social standing, or wealth: "Auguste Comte ... believed that in the age of science society should be ruled by an elite of scientists" (Lewis A. Coser).
b. A member of such a group: "Elites don't grant us [sociologists] interviews. They don't let us hang out at their country clubs" (Sudhir Venkatesh).
c. The best or most skilled members of a group: the elite of professional tennis.
2. A size of type on a typewriter, equal to 12 characters per linear inch.
[French élite, from Old French eslite, from feminine past participle of eslire, to choose, from Latin ēligere; see elect.]
elite(ɪˈliːt; eɪ-) or
1. (sometimes functioning as plural) the most powerful, rich, gifted, or educated members of a group, community, etc
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) Also called: twelve pitch a typewriter type size having 12 characters to the inch
of, relating to, or suitable for an elite; exclusive
[C18: from French, from Old French eslit chosen, from eslire to choose, from Latin ēligere to elect]
or é•lite(ɪˈlit, eɪˈlit)
1. (often used with a pl. v.) the choice or best of a group, class, or the like.
2. (used with a pl. v.) persons of the wealthiest class.
3. a group of persons exercising authority within a larger group.
4. a 10-point type widely used in typewriters and having 12 characters to the inch. Compare pica 1.adj.
5. of the best or most select.
[1350–1400; Middle English elit a person elected to office < Middle French e(s)lit past participle of e(s)lire to choose < Vulgar Latin *exlegere, for Latin ēligere; see elect]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||elite - a group or class of persons enjoying superior intellectual or social or economic status|
elect, chosen - an exclusive group of people; "one of the elect who have power inside the government"
cream, pick - the best people or things in a group; "the cream of England's young men were killed in the Great War"
few - a small elite group; "it was designed for the discriminating few"
technocrat - an expert who is a member of a highly skilled elite group
|Adj.||1.||elite - selected as the best; "an elect circle of artists"; "elite colleges"|
selected - chosen in preference to another
1. People of the highest social level:
aristocracy, blue blood, crème de la crème, flower, gentility, gentry, nobility, patriciate, quality, society, upper class, who's who.
Informal: upper crust.
úrval; heldra fólk
élite[eɪˈliːt] n → élite f inv
élite(eiˈliːt) , ((American) i-) noun
(with the) the best or most important people especially within society. elite, keur نُخْبَه، صَفْوَه елит elite elita die Elite elite ελίτ, αφρόκρεμαélite eliit نخبه؛ سرآمد eliitti élite עִלִית अभिजात वर्ग elita elit elit úrval; heldra fólk élite エリート 엘리트, 최상류의 사람들 elitas elite elit eliteeliteelita غوره elite elită элита elita izbranci elita elit บุคคลสำคัญในสังคม seçkin sınıf 精英 еліта, добірна частина ممتاز طبقہ tầng lớp thượng lưu 杰出人物