Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to elitism: elitist
e·lit·ismor é·lit·ism (ĭ-lē′tĭz′əm, ā-lē′-)
1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their superiority, as in intelligence, social standing, or wealth.
a. Behavior arising from or indicative of such a belief.
b. Control, rule, or domination by the members of an elite.
e·lit′ist adj. & n.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
a. the belief that society should be governed by a select group of gifted and highly educated individuals
b. such government
2. pride in or awareness of being one of an elite group
eˈlitist adj, n
e•lit•ism(ɪˈli tɪz əm, eɪˈli-)
1. practice of or belief in rule by an elite.
2. consciousness of membership in or allegiance to a select group.
e•lit′ist, n., adj.
the attitude that government should be by those who consider themselves superior to others by virtue of intelligence, social status, or greater accomplishment.See also: Attitudes
the belief or practice that government should be by a self-appointed group who consider themselves superior to those governed by virtue of their higher birth. — elitist, n., adj.See also: Government