Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to emitter: emitter bias, Emitter follower
tr.v. e·mit·ted, e·mit·ting, e·mits
1. To give or send out (matter or energy): isotopes that emit radioactive particles; a stove emitting heat.
a. To give out as sound; utter: "She emitted her small strange laugh" (Edith Wharton).
b. To voice; express: emit an idea.
3. To issue with authority, especially to put (currency) into circulation.
[Latin ēmittere, to send out : ē-, ex-, ex- + mittere, to send.]
1. a person or thing that emits
2. (Nuclear Physics) a radioactive substance that emits radiation: a beta emitter.
3. (Electronics) the region in a transistor in which the charge-carrying holes or electrons originate