emotive(redirected from emotively)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. Of or relating to emotion: the emotive aspect of symbols.
2. Characterized by, expressing, or exciting emotion: an emotive trial lawyer; the emotive issue of gun control.
e·mo′tive·ness, e′mo·tiv′i·ty (ē′mō-tĭv′ĭ-tē) n.
1. tending or designed to arouse emotion
2. of or characterized by emotion
eˈmotiveness, ˌemoˈtivity n
Usage: Emotional is preferred to emotive when describing a display of emotion: he was given an emotional (not emotive) welcome
1. pertaining to or showing emotion.
2. directed toward or activating the emotions.
e•mo′tive•ness, e•mo•tiv•i•ty (ˌi moʊˈtɪv ɪ ti, ɪ moʊ-) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||emotive - characterized by emotion |
emotional - of more than usual emotion; "his behavior was highly emotional"
1. sensitive, controversial, delicate, contentious, inflammatory, touchy, hot-button (informal) Embryo research is an emotive subject.