encrypt(redirected from encrypting)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to encrypting: decrypting
tr.v. en·crypt·ed, en·crypt·ing, en·crypts
1. To put into code or cipher.
2. Computers To alter (data) using a mathematical algorithm so as to make the data unintelligible to unauthorized users while allowing a user with a key or password to convert the altered data back to its original state.
1. (Communications & Information) to put (a message) into code
2. (Computer Science) to put (computer data) into a coded form
3. (Broadcasting) to distort (a television or other signal) so that it cannot be understood without the appropriate decryption equipment
[C20: from en-1 + crypt, as in crypto-]
to encipher or encode.
[1940–45; en-1 + -crypt (extracted from cryptic, cryptography, etc.); on the model of encode]
en•cryp′tion, en`cryp•ta′tion, n.
Past participle: encrypted