eosin(redirected from eosinic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A yellowish-red crystalline powder, C20H8 Br4O5, used in textile dyeing and ink manufacturing, as a biological stain, and in coloring gasoline.
2. Any of a group of red fluorescent bromine derivatives of fluorescein, or their sodium or potassium salts, used in ink manufacturing, textile dyeing, and in biology to stain cells.
1. (Elements & Compounds) Also called: bromeosin a red crystalline water-insoluble derivative of fluorescein. Its soluble salts are used as dyes. Formula: C20H8Br4O5
2. (Dyeing) any of several similar dyes
[C19: from Greek ēōs dawn + -in; referring to the colour it gives to silk]
e•o•sin(ˈi ə sɪn)
also e•o•sine(-sɪn, -ˌsin)
1. a red, crystalline, water-insoluble solid, C20H8Br4O5, used chiefly as an acid dye for silk and as a histological stain.
2. any of a variety of similar dyes.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||eosin - a red fluorescent dye resulting from the action of bromine on fluorescein; used in cosmetics and as a biological stain for studying cell structures|
fluorescein, fluoresceine, fluorescent dye, resorcinolphthalein - a yellow dye that is visible even when highly diluted; used as an absorption indicator when silver nitrate solution is added to sodium chloride in order to precipitate silver chloride (turns pink when no chloride ions are left in solution and negative fluorescein ions are then absorbed)
n. eosina, sustancia insoluble usada como colorante rojo en algunos tejidos que se estudian bajo el microscopio.