Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The outer, protective, nonvascular layer of the skin of vertebrates, covering the dermis.
2. An integument or outer layer of various invertebrates.
3. The outermost layer of cells covering the leaves and young parts of a plant.
ep′i·der′mal (-məl), ep′i·der′mic adj.
1. (Biology) Also called: cuticle the thin protective outer layer of the skin, composed of stratified epithelial tissue
2. (Anatomy) the outer layer of cells of an invertebrate
3. (Botany) the outer protective layer of cells of a plant, which may be thickened by a cuticle
[C17: via Late Latin from Greek, from epi- + derma skin]
ˌepiˈdermal, ˌepiˈdermic, ˌepiˈdermoid adj
ep•i•der•mis(ˌɛp ɪˈdɜr mɪs)
1. the outermost, nonvascular, nonsensitive layer of the skin, covering the dermis.
2. the outer epithelial layer of animal tissue.
3. a thin layer of cells forming the outer integument of seed plants and ferns.
ep`i•der′mal, ep`i•der′mic, adj.
1. The protective outer layer of the skin of an animal. In invertebrate animals, the epidermis is made up of a single layer of cells. In vertebrates, the epidermis is made up of many layers of cells and overlies the dermis. Hair and feathers grow from the epidermis.
2. The outer layer of cells of the stems, roots, and leaves of plants. The cells of the epidermis are set close together to protect the plant from water loss, invasion by fungi, and physical damage. See more at photosynthesis.
1. The protective outer layer of plants and animals.
2. The skin’s outer layer.
3. The outermost layer of the skin.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||epidermis - the outer layer of the skin covering the exterior body surface of vertebrates|
cutis, skin, tegument - a natural protective body covering and site of the sense of touch; "your skin is the largest organ of your body"
epidermal cell - any of the cells making up the epidermis
corneum, horny layer, stratum corneum - the outermost layer of the epidermis consisting of dead cells that slough off
stratum lucidum - the layer of epidermis immediately under the stratum corneum in the skin of the palms and soles
stratum granulosum - the layer of epidermis just under the stratum corneum or (on the palms and soles) just under the stratum lucidum; contains cells (with visible granules) that die and move to the surface
malpighian layer, rete Malpighii, stratum basale, stratum germinativum - the innermost layer of the epidermis
pallium, mantle - (zoology) a protective layer of epidermis in mollusks or brachiopods that secretes a substance forming the shell
stratum - one of several parallel layers of material arranged one on top of another (such as a layer of tissue or cells in an organism or a layer of sedimentary rock)