Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Capable of being raised to an upright position.
2. Anatomy Of or relating to tissue that is capable of filling with blood and becoming rigid.
e·rec·til′i·ty (-tĭl′ĭ-tē) n.
1. (Physiology) physiol (of tissues or organs, such as the penis or clitoris) capable of becoming rigid or erect as the result of being filled with blood
2. capable of being erected
e•rec•tile(ɪˈrɛk tl, -tɪl, -taɪl)
1. capable of being distended with blood and becoming rigid, as tissue.
2. capable of being erected or set upright.
[1820–30; < French]
e•rec•til•i•ty (ɪ rɛkˈtɪl ɪ ti, ˌi rɛk-) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||erectile - capable of being raised to an upright position; "erectile feathers"|
|2.||erectile - filled with vascular sinuses and capable of becoming distended and rigid as the result of being filled with blood; "erectile tissue"; "the penis is an erectile organ"|
physiology - the branch of the biological sciences dealing with the functioning of organisms
expansive - able or tending to expand or characterized by expansion; "Expansive materials"; "the expansive force of fire"