Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to esoteric: Esoteric knowledge
a. Intended for or understood by only a small group, especially one with specialized knowledge or interests: an esoteric philosophical doctrine. See Synonyms at mysterious.
b. Relating to or being a small group with specialized knowledge or interests: an esoteric circle.
2. Not known by or suitable for the public; private: Few understood the celebrity's esoteric side.
1. One that is esoteric.
2. esoterics Esoteric matters; esoterica: "The course ... is anything but an exercise in ivory tower esoterics" (Sharon Waxman).
[Greek esōterikos, from esōterō, comparative of esō, within; see en in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
1. restricted to or intended for an enlightened or initiated minority, esp because of abstruseness or obscurity: an esoteric cult. Compare exoteric
2. difficult to understand; abstruse: an esoteric statement.
3. not openly admitted; private: esoteric aims.
[C17: from Greek esōterikos, from esōterō inner]
ˌesoˈteriˌcism, ˌeˈsoteˌrism n
es•o•ter•ic(ˌɛs əˈtɛr ɪk)
1. understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest or for the initiates of a group; recondite.
2. belonging to the select few.
3. private; secret.
[1645–55; < Greek esōterikós]
es`o•ter′i•cism (-ˌsɪz əm) n.
esoteric- Its root sense is "for the initiates of a religious mystery," and it means "confined to or understood by just a few people."
See also related terms for understood.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||esoteric - confined to and understandable by only an enlightened inner circle; "a compilation of esoteric philosophical theories"|
private - confined to particular persons or groups or providing privacy; "a private place"; "private discussions"; "private lessons"; "a private club"; "a private secretary"; "private property"; "the former President is now a private citizen"; "public figures struggle to maintain a private life"
exoteric - suitable for the general public; "writings of an exoteric nature"
esoteric[ˌesəʊˈterɪk] ADJ → esotérico
esoteric[ˌiːsəʊˈtɛrɪk] adj → ésotérique
adj → esoterisch