Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to existential: Existential Psychology, Existential therapy
1. Of, relating to, or dealing with existence.
2. Based on experience; empirical.
3. Of or as conceived by existentialism or existentialists: an existential moment of choice.
4. Linguistics Of or relating to a construction or part of a construction that indicates existence, as the words there is in the sentence There is a cat on the mat.
An existential word or construction.
1. of or relating to existence, esp human existence
2. (Philosophy) philosophy pertaining to what exists, and is thus known by experience rather than reason; empirical as opposed to theoretical
3. (Logic) logic denoting or relating to a formula or proposition asserting the existence of at least one object fulfilling a given condition; containing an existential quantifier
4. (Philosophy) of or relating to existentialism
a. an existential statement or formula
b. short for existential quantifier
ex•is•ten•tial(ˌɛg zɪˈstɛn ʃəl, ˌɛk sɪ-)
1. pertaining to existence.
2. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of existentialism.
[1685–95; < Late Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||existential - derived from experience or the experience of existence; "the rich experiential content of the teachings of the older philosophers"- Benjamin Farrington; "formal logicians are not concerned with existential matters"- John Dewey|
|2.||existential - of or as conceived by existentialism; "an existential moment of choice"|
|3.||existential - relating to or dealing with existence (especially with human existence)|