exoteric(redirected from exotericly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
1. Not confined to an inner circle of disciples or initiates.
2. Comprehensible to or suited to the public; popular.
3. Of or relating to the outside; external.
[Latin exōtericus, external, from Greek exōterikos, from exōterō, comparative of exō, outside; see exo-.]
1. intelligible to or intended for more than a select or initiated minority: an exoteric account of a philosophical doctrine.
2. external; exterior
[C17: from Latin exōtericus external, from Greek exōterikos, from exōterō further outside; see exo-]
ex•o•ter•ic(ˌɛk səˈtɛr ɪk)
1. suitable for communication to the general public.
2. not limited to the inner or select circle, as of disciples.
3. pertaining to the outside; external.
[1645–55; < Late Latin exōtericus external < Greek exōterikós=exṓter(ō) further out (comp. of éxō; see exo-) + -ikos -ic]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||exoteric - suitable for the general public; "writings of an exoteric nature"|
public - not private; open to or concerning the people as a whole; "the public good"; "public libraries"; "public funds"; "public parks"; "a public scandal"; "public gardens"; "performers and members of royal families are public figures"
esoteric - confined to and understandable by only an enlightened inner circle; "a compilation of esoteric philosophical theories"