expandable(redirected from expandablely)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. ex·pand·ed, ex·pand·ing, ex·pands
1. To increase the size, volume, quantity, or scope of; enlarge: expanded her store by adding a second room. See Synonyms at increase.
2. To express at length or in detail; enlarge on: expanded his remarks afterward.
3. To open (something) up or out; spread out: The bird expanded its wings and flew off.
4. Mathematics To write (a quantity) as a sum of terms in an extended form.
1. To become greater in size, volume, quantity, or scope: Air expands when heated. This critic's influence is expanding.
2. To speak or write at length or in detail: expand on a favorite topic.
3. To open up or out; unfold: The chair expands to form a daybed.
[Middle English expanden, to spread out, from Latin expandere : ex-, ex- + pandere, to spread; see petə- in Indo-European roots.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||expandable - able to expand or be expanded|
expansive - able or tending to expand or characterized by expansion; "Expansive materials"; "the expansive force of fire"
|2.||expandable - (of gases) capable of expansion|
elastic - capable of resuming original shape after stretching or compression; springy; "an elastic band"; "a youthful and elastic walk"