Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Wikipedia.
tr.v. ex·punged, ex·pung·ing, ex·pung·es
1. To erase, delete, or strike out: expunged their names from the list.
2. To eliminate completely; wipe out: a government's attempt to expunge dissidents. See Synonyms at erase.
1. to delete or erase; blot out; obliterate
2. to wipe out or destroy
[C17: from Latin expungere to blot out, from pungere to prick]
v.t. -punged, -pung•ing.
1. to strike or blot out; obliterate; erase.
2. to eliminate completely; efface; destroy.
[1595–1605; < Latin expungere prick thoroughly, mark off on a list =ex- ex-1 + pungere to prick]
Past participle: expunged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||expunge - remove by erasing or crossing out or as if by drawing a line; "Please strike this remark from the record"; "scratch that remark"|