Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to extra-: Extra Cover
Outside; beyond: extraterritorial.
outside or beyond an area or scope: extrasensory; extraterritorial.
[from Latin extrā outside, beyond, changed from extera, from exterus outward]
adj., n., pl. -tras,
1. beyond or more than what is usual, expected, or necessary; additional: Make an extra copy.
2. superior to the usual: extra comfort.
3. provided at an additional charge: Home delivery is extra.n.
4. an additional feature.
5. an additional expense or charge.
6. a special edition of a newspaper.
7. an additional worker, esp. a person hired by the day to appear in the background action of a film.
8. something of superior quality.adv.
9. in excess of the usual amount, size, or degree: extra tall.
a prefix meaning “outside of,” “beyond the bounds of”: extragalactic; extralegal; extrasensory.
[< Latin, prefixal use of extrā (adv. and preposition) outside (of), without]