Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to eyespot: ISPOT, Eye floaters
1. A light-sensitive organelle of certain chiefly unicellular organisms, such as euglenas and some motile algae.
2. A simple visual organ of certain invertebrates, consisting of a cluster of photoreceptor cells and pigment cells.
3. A rounded eyelike marking, as on the wings of certain butterflies.
4. Any of several fungal diseases that affect grasses and are characterized by oval lesions.
1. (Biology) a small area of light-sensitive pigment in some protozoans, algae, and other simple organisms
2. (Biology) an eyelike marking, as on the wings of certain butterflies
1. a light-sensitive group of cells or rudimentary visual structure of various algae and invertebrates.
1. An area that is sensitive to light and functions somewhat like an eye, found in certain single-celled organisms as well as many invertebrate animals.
2. A round marking resembling an eye, as on the tail feather of a peacock.