Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A fanciful tale of legendary deeds and creatures, usually intended for children.
2. A fictitious, highly fanciful story or explanation.
1. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a story about fairies or other mythical or magical beings, esp one of traditional origin told to children
2. a highly improbable account
1. a story, usu. for children, about elves, hobgoblins, dragons, fairies, or other magical creatures.
2. an incredible or misleading statement or account. Also called fair′y sto`ry.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fairy tale - a story about fairies; told to amuse children|
narration, narrative, story, tale - a message that tells the particulars of an act or occurrence or course of events; presented in writing or drama or cinema or as a radio or television program; "his narrative was interesting"; "Disney's stories entertain adults as well as children"
Bluebeard - (fairytale) a monstrous villain who marries seven women; he kills the first six for disobedience
|2.||fairy tale - an interesting but highly implausible story; often told as an excuse|
fairy talefairy story
chuyện cổ tích