Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
slang a mistress or prostitute
1. a woman who has authority, esp. the female head of a household or the like.
2. a woman employing servants or attendants.
3. a female owner of an animal, or formerly, a slave.
4. a woman who has a continuing sexual relationship with a usu. married man who provides her with financial support.
5. a woman who has possession or control of something: mistress of a great fortune.
6. a woman who is skilled in an occupation or art.
7. (sometimes cap.) something regarded as feminine that has control or supremacy: England, mistress of the seas.
8. (cap.) (formerly) a term of address corresponding to Mrs., Miss, or Ms.
9. Brit. a female schoolteacher.
10. Archaic. sweetheart.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fancy woman - a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money|
bawd, cocotte, cyprian, harlot, lady of pleasure, prostitute, sporting lady, tart, whore, woman of the street, working girl
call girl - a female prostitute who can be hired by telephone
camp follower - a prostitute who provides service to military personnel
comfort woman, ianfu - a woman forced into prostitution for Japanese servicemen during World War II; "she wrote a book about her harsh experiences as a comfort woman"
demimondaine - a woman whose sexual promiscuity places her outside respectable society
hustler, slattern, street girl, streetwalker, floozie, floozy, hooker - a prostitute who attracts customers by walking the streets
white slave - a woman sold into prostitution
|2.||fancy woman - an adulterous woman; a woman who has an ongoing extramarital sexual relationship with a man|
lover - a significant other to whom you are not related by marriage